Skip to main content

How to prepare for NUS Nursing Interview

page views as of 6/8/23



Hello prospective nurses, so you want to be a nurse? It may have been a difficult decision to be a nurse and hence I would like to help you and share tips on how to prepare for this interview.  For those currently studying in poly and Alevel, study well so you will not have to go for this interview. 

What are the chances of entering NUS Nursing? 
Most people think that Nursing is very easy to get in because of the low IGP score and nurses are in high demand. As long as you are sincere, it is high likely that you get in. If your IGP is below 10 percentile, no worries because you can still get in. 
Fun Fact: In 2017, there were 2200 applications and 235 people were accepted into the course. This is 10.6% of the people who applied. Nus Nursing acceptance rate thus is 10.6% but it is expected to rise due to the high demand for nurses. 

When was the interview?
I was scheduled for a nursing interview in the first week of April 2018. On 2nd April, I received an email about the nursing interview shortlisting. On 3rd May, I was accepted into Nursing. Do ensure that you will not be travelling during the first week of April, if not you will have to ask for reschedule. 

Preparing for the interview
It is important to prepare yourself for an interview and think of what is good to say. That time, my answers were longer and I am giving my brief answers here. These tips are based on my interview one year ago in 2018.

4 Key Questions and Interview Skills
These questions are subjected to changes. 

Question 1. Tell me about yourself. (A very common opening question in any interviews) 
Introduce your personality, CCA, leadership roles and your hobbies. I always think that a leadership role puts in you in a better position and light. 
What I said: I am often described as a hardworking and patient person. I play the saxophone in Symphonic Band during JC. I took up the EXCO role as a librarian and my responsibility is to ensure everyone got their music scores. I learned the saxophone within 2 months and I played a solo part during my school Open House and we got Distinction for SYF. 

Question 2. Why do you want to join Nursing? (Golden Question of all times) 
This is a question that everyone will ask. Be it your teachers, friends and family. 
What I said: I think Nursing is my calling. I feel passionate to be a nurse as I like to help people and I enjoy interacting with elderly and children. It gives me a sense of satisfaction to take care of people and doing small acts of kindness such as helping to support their arms. I am also aware that nursing is not an easy job and I am okay dealing with blood, waste and diseases. I was handling with blood and stool samples back then when I was working at Tan Tock Seng Hospital. 
What I think: Helping people is the most common answer. I mean you can say it but you can add on something more special to say other than "enjoy helping people". 

Question 3. Do you know what you will be studying in this Nursing Course?
What I said: Yes, we learn about Anatomy and Physiology in Year 1. Then we move on to learn about Surgical and Medical. 
What you need to do: Google and go to Alice Lee Centre for Nursing Studies (ALCNS) website to find out about the curriculum. 

Question 4. Why should I choose you out of so many people? (Make it or break it question)
What I said: I have experienced many leadership positions and I am confident that I would be a great team member to the nursing family. 
What you need to do: Do reflect what is so special about yourself that differentiates yourself from the others. Say something positive and humble. Think of what are the skills-in-demand out there in the working industry. I think that leadership and teamwork are most important so I pointed both out. 

There were more questions and you should prepare more if you really want to get into nursing. There was also a scenario-based question and you had to make a decision on the spot. All the best and good luck! :)

Body Language 
Give a firm handshake to the 2 interviewers. It is an individual interview. 
Smile to the interviewers and be confident. 
Dress code: Business casual. I wore a navy formal dress. Other people wore white shirt, black skirt. 

If you have any questions, do comment below. :)


Comments

  1. Hello! I have a few questions about the interview and was wondering if there was a platform i could contact you that is easier for a conversation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi you may ask your question here, my interview was 4 years ago though, my ig is chloelunlun if it helps

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to complete Singapore Driving Test at BBDC in 2 months

Yes, finishing the driving test within 2 months (jan-feb) is possible! It took me an extra month because I failed my first driving test. I'm a BDCC School Auto student.  Warning! This is not for the weak.  - I have already passed my BTT. -I took 2-3 driving lessons in a day. I took driving time slots 2,4 ,6. Usually I take slots 4 and 6 because they are cheaper. -I finished learning driving within 2-2.5 weeks. -I took theory lessons and practice sessions together back to back in a day. -I kept refreshing the BDCC website to buy driving sessions within 10 seconds. page views as of 6/8/23 How much did I spend?  Practical Driving: $1814.72 Practical Test: $485.44 for 1st and 2nd test (retake) Theory training: $148.73 Theory Test: $13 ($6.50 each) Total:  $2461.89  including one driving test retake. Therefore learning driving is an investment and think before you register because usually membership lasts for 1 year! Table for Expenses  Enrolment fee cost $96.30 for school

How to prepare for NUS QET (Qualifying English Test)

I'm sharing my study tips because I could not find much before I did the test. There were no useful guides in helping me in QET test back then in 2018 so I thought of writing this blog post.  What is NUS QET? It is an English essay test which tests your English proficiency. The paper is 1h 30min long and it takes place at NUS on a single day. Who takes NUS QET? Those who got D and below for Alevels General Paper (that's me!), polytechnic and foreign students. I scored well in GP in school but I didn't do well in Alevels. I got an E for Alevels. Why take NUS QET? You must take QET to graduate from the school and complete English modules if you fail the test. Why you should pass QET? This is because there are a lot of people bidding for the English module and as a newbie, you would not have enough points to compete with those seniors. Taking an English module also disallows you from taking other electives because it can overload your MCs. How's my result?

Prima Deli Pandan Waffles Recipe

My favorite waffles are Prima Deli's Waffles. It's soft, addictive, and smells so fragrant so I am trying to find the recipe. Coconut milk is crucial to making pandan waffles so do get coconut milk!  1. Youtube Vasudevan Suganthi 1 1/2 cup plain flour  3/4 cup caster sugar  1 1/2 tsp baking powder  1/2 tsp salt 2 eggs 3 tbsp butter pandan paste 200ml coconut milk  My verdict: It does taste similar to Prima deli's waffles but it is not as fluffy or soft.  Something seems lacking.  page views as of 6/8/23 I ate my waffles with chopsticks out of convenience 😂 Tell me that you are Asian without telling me you are Asian 2. Sherbakes Pandan Waffles 125g all-purpose flour  50g caster sugar  2tsp baking powder  1/8 tsp salt  1 egg 1/2 tsp green pandan taste  200ml coconut milk  60g unsalted butter (melted) My verdict: This taste differs much from Prima Deli's waffles. The mixture is thick and viscous but Prima deli's waffles mixture is of watery and smooth texture. These

20 Tips for NUS Freshman I wish I knew about

Hello and welcome to NUS. As I was still clueless as a freshie despite having a senior who guided me, I decided to write this blog post. Somehow my blog got featured in nus Reddit and so I'm updating again in 2021. Ever since COVID-19 entered our lives, a lot has changed in school.  1. IVLE-> LumiNUS->Canvas(latest) is a platform where you go for your lectures and tutorials.  * Luminus is transitioning to Canvas. Canvas is relatively new so I don't have information yet.  Link:   LumiNUS Most used features:  a. Files: Lectures and tutorials  b. Conferencing: Zoom meetings  c. Forum: if your prof wants to answer questions or wants students to discuss d. Gradebook: shows your percentile, score e. Multimedia: Recorded videos f. Quiz: Quizzes can be graded/ungraded/timed/untimed/no backward navigation g. My account: Reset password  h. Office 365: Click the icon on the top right of the Luminus , to download Microsoft office into your computer, click my account in the One