Skip to main content

How to complete Singapore Driving Test at BBDC in 2 months

Yes, finishing the driving test within 2 months (jan-feb) is possible! It took me an extra month because I failed my first driving test. I'm a BDCC School Auto student. 

Warning! This is not for the weak. 
-I have already passed my BTT.
-I took 2-3 driving lessons in a day. I took driving time slots 2,4 ,6. Usually I take slots 4 and 6 because they are cheaper.
-I finished learning driving within 2-2.5 weeks.
-I took theory lessons and practice sessions together back to back in a day.
-I kept refreshing the BDCC website to buy driving sessions within 10 seconds.
page views as of 6/8/23


How much did I spend? 
Practical Driving: $1814.72
Practical Test: $485.44 for 1st and 2nd test (retake)
Theory training: $148.73
Theory Test: $13 ($6.50 each)
Total: $2461.89 including one driving test retake.
Therefore learning driving is an investment and think before you register because usually membership lasts for 1 year!

Table for Expenses 
Enrolment fee cost $96.30 for school learners while it cost $50 for private learners. 
Theoretical lessons and evaluation are compulsory for school learners and optional for private learners. 
When you enrol, you are given a complimentary NTUC income personal accident insurance. 

Manual or auto?
I chose auto because I noticed that most guys like to drive auto cars. And auto cars are easier to drive than manual cars. Manual cars are more applicable to guys who need to drive tanks/vehicles in the army and for people who wants to drive cars overseas/europe.

School or private?
I chose school because the instructors are more familiar with the syllabus and the circuit is free to use. The circuit is where you are tested so it is better to train in the circuit. Private students have to pay extra to use the circuit. Many private instructors also do not know what testers are looking out for, especially for safety checks. Going private may be cheaper but you may risk retaking.

1. How to complete everything within 2 months
(Provided I already completed BTT)
The 4 theory lessons are compulsory for school candidates.
The sequence goes like
BTE>BTT>DS>Driving (2 weeks)+Risk forecast>FTE>FTT>Driving Test



How to cramp lessons to reduce the number of trips to driving school

Day 1
a. Final Theory Practice (FTP) 12:25-13:10
b. Practical driving 13:20-15:00 (off peak)
c. Final Theory Lesson (FTL) 15:20-17:00
d. Practical driving 15:20-17:00 (peak)

Day 2
a. Final Theory Practice (FTP) 12:25-13:10
b. Practical driving 13:20-15:00 (off peak)
c. Final Theory Lesson (FTL) 15:20-17:00
d. Final Theory Evaluation (FTE) 17:10-17:55 (passed)

So after you passed your evaluation, then you can book the theory test.
The sequence is Practice>Pass Evaluation>Book Theory Test
Note that to take FTT is 2 weeks waiting time.
I used the 2 weeks to finish learning driving. 

How to pass Basic Theory Test (BTT) 
I failed 2 Basic Theory Evaluations because I took a huge gap between the test and the practice. This was a huge mistake because I forgot most of the answers.
I passed the 3rd Basic Theory Evaluation. Then I got 50/50 for my BTT. You just have to score >45/50.  The tip is to book a practice session just before your BTE or BTT.

Questions in BTT
Most of the questions require common sense and logical judgment. 
The simple trick to getting the questions right is to remember the keyword: SLOW DOWN
When you see the circle signboard, it means you have to MUST OBEY
DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE
I will be posting some difficult questions here. 
PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME FOR MORE QUESTIONS
You can google "basic theory of driving" and find a pdf under the Singapore Police Force to get more information and sample questions. 

You can use the outermost right lane on a three-lane dual carriageway when 
A: You are driving at the maximum legal speed limit
B: You want to turn right ahead
C: Ambulance is not using the right lane 
Correct Answer: B

(Factual) On Saturdays, all vehicles must avoid the bus lane during the day between 
A: 11am and 2pm
B: 11.30am and 2pm
C: 11.30am and 2.30pm
Correct Answer: B

You must give a signal at least
A: 2 seconds in advance
B: 3 seconds in advance
C: 5 seconds in advance 
Correct Answer: B

When you changed lane to the right-hand side of the road to overtake another vehicle, you should
A: Maintain your normal speed and overtake
B: Accelerate and overtake quickly
C: Decelerate and change to a higher gear 
Correct Answer: B

When you approach the green light at the traffic light junction, you should
A: Slow down and get ready to stop when the traffic light changes 
B: Speed up to pass the junction before the traffic light changes
C: Maintain a high speed to not disrupt the traffic flow
Correct Answer: A

What do unbroken white lines mean?
A: Do not cross the lines
B: No stopping allowed
C: Parking allowed
Correct Answer: A

Final Theory Test (FTT) Questions

'The distance travelled' from the moment you see 'the hazard'  to the time you apply 'the brake' is the
A: Stopping distance
B: Braking distance
C: Reaction distance
Correct Answer: C

(Factual) During weekdays (Monday to Friday) in the early morning, vehicles other than omnibuses are not allowed to enter the bus lane from 
A: 7am to 9am 
B: 7am to 9.30am
C: 7.30am to 9.30am
Correct Answer: C

(Factual) Automatic cars have a kickdown. Its function is to 
A: Select a higher gear manually
B: Select a lower gear manually
C: Provide quick accelerations when needed 
Correct Answer: C

A lower gear has 
A: More power and lesser speed than a higher gear
B: More speed and lesser power than a higher gear 
C: Lesser power and lesser spread than a higher gear 
Correct Answer: A

On the expressway, which drivers pose a serious hazard?
A: Drivers who drive a constant speed of 90km/h
B: Pick-up drivers and van drivers
C: Drivers who hog the centre lane at 40km/h and slower
Correct Answer: C

The safe following distance between the front vehicle and your vehicle is 
A: One car length for every 5km/h
B: One car length for every 10km/h
C: One car length for every 15km/h 
Correct Answer: B

The minimum legal insurance coverage to drive on the road is 
A: Third-party risk
B: Third-party risk, fire and theft
C: Fully comprehensive 
Correct Answer: A

On and off clutch technique should be used
A: When driving at high speed
B: When negotiating a narrow and winding path
C: When descending a slope 
Correct Answer: B

To brake when travelling downhill, you should use
A: The foot brake only 
B: The foot and handbrakes
C: The foot brake and engine brake 
Correct Answer: C

What is the correct footwork to change from 2nd gear to 3rd gear?
A: Release the accelerator pedal and depress the clutch pedal at the same time 
B: Depress the accelerator and clutch together
C: Depress the clutch pedal while keeping the accelerator on hold 
Correct Answer: A

When driving an automatic car, you should select a lower gear
A: To slow the car down in normal driving 
B: When travelling uphill
C: Before stopping 
Correct Answer: B

(Factual) You will be denied to take your driving test if you have 
A: 13 demerit points
B: 12 demerit points
C: 24 demerit points 
Correct Answer: A

(Factual) On weekdays, you must not use the bus lane in the evening from 
A: 4pm to 7pm
B: 4.30pm to 7pm
C: 4.30pm to 7.30pm 
Correct Answer: B

When you want to reverse to the right, you should turn your steering wheel
A: To the left
B: To the right
C: First to the left and then to the right 
Correct Answer: B

I got full marks for both BTT and FTT at first try!
Please do not ask me for more questions.

How to book practical driving lessons (After passing BTT)
1. Fast or slow track
Fast- buy try-sell slots
Slow- book available lessons that are unfortunately one month later
As for me, I took the fast track because I wanted to complete within 2 months.
Most adults would just choose to book their lessons that are available next month since they are not in a rush.

How to buy try-sell slots
Best days: Weekdays
Best timings: Morning 10-11am and Night 10pm-12pm
Best before: 48 hours so you can book your own instructor in your allocated group
How? Refresh your booking driving slots page every 5 seconds to book a slot. Yes, the slots will be booked within 30 seconds.

Learning Driving
Notice that there are only 3 off-peak hour slots available. I usually book session 4 and 6 together.

School syllabus
Stage 1 Subjects
1.01 Orientation of Vehicle
1.02 Pre-drive procedures
1.03 Moving off and Stopping
1.04 Steering technique
1.05 Speed Adjustment
1.06 Slowing down and Stopping
1.07 Speed Regulation
1.08 Braking
1.09 Negotiating Sharp Turns
1.10 Safety Routine
1.11 Stage 1 Review
DS1.01 Driving Stimulator

Stage 2 Subjects 
2.01 Driving in Observance of Traffic Rules
2.02 Pedestrian Crossing
2.03 Left Turn and Slip Road at Junction


2.04 Lane Change
Change to the middle lane before crossing this junction because the road ahead only allows you to turn left. 

2.05 Right Turn

2.06 U-turn and Roundabout


2.07 Driving on Slopes
2.08 Reacting to Road Hazards
2.09 Lane Changing in Heavy and fast traffic
2.10 Overtaking and being overtaken
2.11 Stage 2 Review

Stage 3 Subjects
3.01 Driving in Circuit
3.02 Reversing Technique
3.03 Crank Course and S course
3.04 Directional Change
3.05 Parallel Parking
3.06 Circuit Slope
3.07 Vertical Parking
3.08 Brake on Ramp
3.09 Emergency Brake
3.10 Three-point Turn
3.11 Stage Review
Risk forecast training ppl5.01

Stage 4.01 Defensive Driving in Training route part l
Stage 4.02 Defensive Driving in Training route part ll
Stage 5 Final evaluation

Number of Lessons
Stage 1: 7 lessons
Stage 2: 6 lessons
Stage 3: 7 lessons
Stage 4: 2 lessons
Stage 5: 1 lesson
Revision: 3 lessons
Total: 26 lessons
If you are good, you can reduce the number of lessons to take.

How to do Parallel parking notes
1. Position left, face forward and myself to be positioned at the centre
2. Signal left. Check all directions and reverse until in between the black and white kerb. 
3. Reverse full lock left then adjust the mirror, lock left until the yellow black pole.
4. Then adjust Right mirror to see the white line.
5. Full lock right to go near the yellow pole.
6. Full lock left forward and change to D gear. Straighten until 2.5 kerb then park.
7. Move forward a little bit then full lock left reverse.
8. When moving out, adjust mirrors first, change to driving gear and full lock right.

Slope obstacle
1. Drive up the slope until you cannot see the white arrow.
2. Brake and handbrake.
3. When moving off, check for right blindspot, signal right, hold accelerator, pull handbrake and signal left. 

Emergency brake
When the instructor bangs the car, step hard on the brake. 

2. How to pass driving test
Tip 1) Take revision lessons (recommended 1-2, take 1 before the test)
I failed my first driving test because I took 0 revision lessons. I forgot many safety checks even though my driving test was only one week apart. I passed my second driving test because I booked 3 revision lessons including one that was a day before the test. Most likely that instructor would help to take you for warm-up knowing that you got a test the next day.

Tip 2) Pick a time slot
I would advise against session 1,2,9 because they are morning and evening peak hour slots. My first test was 1145am-12:15pm. I was not expecting a lot of cars but there were a lot of cars in the circuit and also on the road because it was the lunch hour and it collided with peak hour lesson session. (11:30-13:10)
My second test was better. It was 1450pm-1520pm. It collides slightly with off-peak hour lesson session (13:20-15:00) and there were lesser cars. Lesser cars better control. When it was 3pm, there were already no cars. The traffic outside is also relatively good, lesser cars. This could be the best time slot for driving test Singapore. 

Tip 3) Pick an auspicious day
My first test was on a Wednesday. It was on 23 Jan 2019 and Aloysius Pang died on this day. It was really unfortunate. My second test was on a Friday. Maybe testers feel better on a Friday on 15 Feb 2019, especially after Valentine's day.

Tip 4) Pray for a good tester
I got an old grumpy kanchiong sick chinese tester for my first test. He made me panic and nervous because he was strict and grumpy. I think it affected my judgement. I got a tall nicer Malay tester for my second test. He was quite calm and helpful.

Tip 5) First impression counts
I wore shirt, pants and specs for my first test. I wore a dark blue dress and makeup for my second test. Try to look good-looking so the tester can be nicer. It helps. Greet the tester politely too.

These are 5 tips to help you in your driving test. All the best!


After you have passed your driving test, the remaining balance will be sent to you in a form of a cheque. 

Pay $50 for your driving licence and wait for a few weeks for it to deliver to your postbox. 





Comments

  1. Hi Chloe, which online theory test website did you use to study? I used sgdriving and tptest.sg but the questions are different from the evaluation sessions I took (I failed twice as of today :'( ) . THanks for the advice! So impressive of you to pass within such a short time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! how do i book an earlier slot for my practical test rather than waiting for one month? or is there no other option already?

      Delete
    2. I booked mine in a week last time. Maybe you can try refreshing page every second to see if there are any available slots.

      Delete
  2. Hi does TP try sell slot exist thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. try not to sell your TP slot because they do not give refunds so choose a date wisely.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I did provide some ftt questions above, do look at those. Do attend one fte just before the ftt to keep your mind afresh of the questions tested.

      Delete
  4. hi what do they mean when they say slot will start in next 48 Hours? etc you are allocated to xxx group

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not sure of the context but think it just says that the lesson will start 48 hours later and usually for bookings, it is best to book at least 48 hours before so you can get the same group

      Delete
  5. Hi! Thank you for your post! Do you have any tips how to get try-sell slots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello :) just refresh every min at 10am in the morning or 6pm in the evening because these are the timings when people would be using their phones

      Delete
  6. Hi! Would u be able to share your practical lesson history in jpeg/png/etc format?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no bcos bbdc website has their copyrights

      Delete
  7. I think this is something new. During my time, I booked the driving stimulator right before the lesson. You should still explore the try/sell slots rather than thinking that there are no slots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! Can I check is it ok to book for the theory practice and evaluations without completing the lessons yet? Just wanna make sure I book for the slots early. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi chloe my test is at 4.30 pm wed will it be crowded ? it’s my second tp 😣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when it reaches 5pm then it may be crowded as most people work from 8am-5pm. considering that now is Heightened alert measures, people usually work from home so you would expect a small crowd. all the best

      Delete
  10. hi there, for the Risk Forecast Training, did u book try slot as well? cos i've been keep refreshing the page for quite sometime, no slot come out :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I booked a slot after my driving lesson. I was at the driving centre refreshing the page so I could find a slot to book. I kept refreshing every second.

      Delete
    2. oh i see... but now due to covid, the Risk Forecast Training has been change to via ZOOM. manage to book a try-sell slot.

      thanks for the reply. i love your blog so much. really help me out a lot. i also booking try-sell slot for my practical lesson. want to finish it ASAP so that i can take the test and faster get licience :)

      Delete
  11. Mam,i spass holder how to booking practical class by using try sell slot.Then booking try sell slot if needed atleast attend one class? because never show view booking records.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. book practical class at the BDCC website and refresh every second. no need to attend one class. booking records show your past practical classes. assuming that you have not attended a practical class, your booking records should be empty.

      Delete
  12. This blogs is great examples for others! I might say that your work is perfectly nice and inspiring! I will share it with my friends. Did you notice blind singapore in somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, do refrain from advertising your products

      Delete
  13. Hi Yuelun, I am amazed by the way you booked the practical training lessons. I started booking the Practical Training lessons on March (manual car), the system only allowed you booked 17 slots, and by that time the available slots are already late in Jun/Jul. During my registration my instructor told me that 17 courses are enough....

    Sadly as I have enrolled most of the practical training lessons, I found 17 courses are definitely not enough, it seems 6 more courses are required. The available slots are only available no earlier than Nov. This means that by wrong information from the BBDC instructor I have to wait for another half a year to at least finish the training.

    Now that I saw as you could refresh the website and booked those re-sell slots, it sparked a hope for me. Any more tips you could tell about booking practical training lessons, like track booking every other minute?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi thanks for your compliment! I refreshed every second, not minute around 10am or 6pm.

      Delete
  14. Hi Yuelun, thank you for the elaborated post. I bookmarked this page for my reference 😊. I just completed BTT and get the approval of PDL. But struggling to book for practical lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Yuelun, may I know how many practical slots did u booked in order to prepare you for the practical test ? I only booked 5 and I’m worry that that’s not enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you mean revision practical? 3 slots

      Delete
    2. After passing BTT and get ready to learn driving

      Delete
    3. 23 lessons, search for "number of lessons" for more details

      Delete
  16. Hi Yuelun, may I know if you are aware that is it a must to complete Driving Simulator after Stage 1 review for practical (as shown on the webstie), or is it possible that to book practical slots for stage 2 first before completing the Driving Simulator?

    ReplyDelete
  17. sorry i'm not sure, i went to DS straight after my theory lesson/practice. you may ask your friends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alright! still, thank you for your reply tho :)

      Delete
  18. A bit confused on the date of your license, TP on Feb 2018 yet License effective date is Feb 2019.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi I at stage 4 how many lesson stage 4 and 5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. stage 4-> 2
      stage 5-> 1
      already written before

      Delete
  20. Hi Yuelun. For booking practical test I'm trying to get the sat and sunday sessions but they are always full. Any advice on how to get the slots? Is there a time when the slots open up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sflr, just keep refreshing every second usually 10am/6pm when people are using phones

      Delete
  21. Hi there! Do you how fast I be able to get my e-PDL approve after I pass my BTT? Also, do you know if is possible to finish basic theory evaluation and the BTT test 1 month before my FIRST practical lesson? I am thinking to cramp theory before I start driving

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sflr, cant remember exactly. e-PDL should be days. BTE and BTT can finish within weeks.

      Delete
  22. great article. thank you so much

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to prepare for NUS QET (Qualifying English Test)

I'm sharing my study tips because I could not find much before I did the test. There were no useful guides in helping me in QET test back then in 2018 so I thought of writing this blog post.  What is NUS QET? It is an English essay test which tests your English proficiency. The paper is 1h 30min long and it takes place at NUS on a single day. Who takes NUS QET? Those who got D and below for Alevels General Paper (that's me!), polytechnic and foreign students. I scored well in GP in school but I didn't do well in Alevels. I got an E for Alevels. Why take NUS QET? You must take QET to graduate from the school and complete English modules if you fail the test. Why you should pass QET? This is because there are a lot of people bidding for the English module and as a newbie, you would not have enough points to compete with those seniors. Taking an English module also disallows you from taking other electives because it can overload your MCs. How's my result?

Prima Deli Pandan Waffles Recipe

My favorite waffles are Prima Deli's Waffles. It's soft, addictive, and smells so fragrant so I am trying to find the recipe. Coconut milk is crucial to making pandan waffles so do get coconut milk!  1. Youtube Vasudevan Suganthi 1 1/2 cup plain flour  3/4 cup caster sugar  1 1/2 tsp baking powder  1/2 tsp salt 2 eggs 3 tbsp butter pandan paste 200ml coconut milk  My verdict: It does taste similar to Prima deli's waffles but it is not as fluffy or soft.  Something seems lacking.  page views as of 6/8/23 I ate my waffles with chopsticks out of convenience 😂 Tell me that you are Asian without telling me you are Asian 2. Sherbakes Pandan Waffles 125g all-purpose flour  50g caster sugar  2tsp baking powder  1/8 tsp salt  1 egg 1/2 tsp green pandan taste  200ml coconut milk  60g unsalted butter (melted) My verdict: This taste differs much from Prima Deli's waffles. The mixture is thick and viscous but Prima deli's waffles mixture is of watery and smooth texture. These

20 Tips for NUS Freshman I wish I knew about

Hello and welcome to NUS. As I was still clueless as a freshie despite having a senior who guided me, I decided to write this blog post. Somehow my blog got featured in nus Reddit and so I'm updating again in 2021. Ever since COVID-19 entered our lives, a lot has changed in school.  1. IVLE-> LumiNUS->Canvas(latest) is a platform where you go for your lectures and tutorials.  * Luminus is transitioning to Canvas. Canvas is relatively new so I don't have information yet.  Link:   LumiNUS Most used features:  a. Files: Lectures and tutorials  b. Conferencing: Zoom meetings  c. Forum: if your prof wants to answer questions or wants students to discuss d. Gradebook: shows your percentile, score e. Multimedia: Recorded videos f. Quiz: Quizzes can be graded/ungraded/timed/untimed/no backward navigation g. My account: Reset password  h. Office 365: Click the icon on the top right of the Luminus , to download Microsoft office into your computer, click my account in the One

How to prepare for NUS Nursing Interview

page views as of 6/8/23 Hello prospective nurses, so you want to be a nurse? It may have been a difficult decision to be a nurse and hence I would like to help you and share tips on how to prepare for this interview.  For those currently studying in poly and Alevel, study well so you will not have to go for this interview.  What are the chances of entering NUS Nursing?  Most people think that Nursing is very easy to get in because of the low IGP score and nurses are in high demand. As long as you are sincere, it is high likely that you get in. If your IGP is below 10 percentile, no worries because you can still get in.  Fun Fact: In 2017, there were 2200 applications and 235 people were accepted into the course. This is  10.6% of the people who applied. Nus Nursing acceptance rate thus is 10.6% but it is expected to rise due to the high demand for nurses.  When was the interview? I was scheduled for a nursing interview in the first week of April 2018. On 2nd April, I re